Beginning with the 2016-2017 school year, in accordance with Senate Bill 507 from the Texas 84th Legislative Session (2015) now Texas Education Code (TEC) §29.022, a Parent, Trustee, or Staff Member may request that Video Equipment with audio capability be installed in a Self-Contained Classroom or other Special Education Setting such that all areas excluding the bathroom and student changing areas are observable. The sole purpose of the recording equipment is to promote the safety of students receiving special education services and the recordings may not be used for any other purpose. Below is further information about:
1. Who can request equipment be installed?
2. What is a Self-Contained Classroom?
3. What is an Other Special Education Setting?
4. What is Video Equipment?
5. How do I request equipment installation for my child’s classroom?
6. What happens after the District receives a request to install equipment?
7. How long does it take for the equipment to be installed?
8. Why did I receive a letter about my student’s classroom receiving video equipment?
9. How and how long are recordings maintained by the District?
10. Who can view the recordings?
More information below...